La Meme Chose
This is for Rabbitch, who tagged me. Don't get any ideas - I'm doing this because 1) she has made me laugh out loud so many times that I feel I owe her one and 2) it gives me the chance to say I'm hereby declaring myself untaggable henceforth in perpetuum.
I'm supposed to list five of my idiosyncracies. This is not difficult, except in picking only five examples from a catalogue that would rival that of Sears-Roebuck and Company.
- I am often a very dim bulb. I have more than once run around the house searching for keys I was holding in my other hand, or the hat that was already on top of my head.
- I sometimes prefer to do things the hard way. When I decided to knit a sock for the first time, I also decided to work from Mary Thomas's highly detailed but mainly theoretical treatment of the subject instead of finding an easy, modern pattern. (See also "Tendencies, masochistic".)
- As a snack, I often eat peanut butter right out of the jar with a butterknife. I prefer crunchy. And it has to be with a knife. I never use a spoon. That would be weird.
- I am uneasy sitting in restaurants or cafés with my back to the doors or windows. This is probably genetic programming from my Sicilian side.
- I am scared to death of flying. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. You can quote me statistics, philosophy, religion, or aerodynamics, it won't help. I hate flying so much I don't even like to talk about it when I'm on the ground. (On Friday, when our plane to New York hit a thunderstorm just before landing at La Guardia and started to pitch around, C got a chance to see me in full panic mode. He let me hold his hand and kept talking to me the whole time, which has earned him...I dunno yet, but something big.)